July 18, 2016

Continued research of flute tone holes led me to discover the website http://11wall-west.com/~ph_kosel/Flutomat-8.html

The calculator here is much easier to understand and follow so will be experimenting with this site to continue work on making the flutes.

Mr. Clarke and I went through and took a PVC Native American Flute and drilled holes for tone, and then added a Clarinet mouthpiece to the end.  We expanded holes slowly from the top (closest to mouthpiece) to the bottom (at the “foot” of the instrument).  We discovered the size of the hole, almost over the placement of the whole, had a greater effect on creating a Half Step difference between each tone hole.

Basically, we discovered the BASIC working of the woodwind instruments using a reed.