July 6, 2016

Pbone with Mr. Ford-

After experimentation with the Pbone we are not getting the variation in the tone we desired originally.  Needless to say frustration was setting in.  I knew that any air leak (for example when the cork is bad on the water key) will cause a significant change in tone and pitch.  I checked the crooked slide for leaks with water and all was solid.  Mr. Clarke and I attempted to add rings to the top of the slide where the mouthpiece would be received again to no success.

So Youtube came to my rescue.  I realized that the space between the tubes, although a fraction, was making a significant impact.  Kelsey Johnson in the video below demonstrated her use of O-rings, with notched out PVC towards the ends to complete the seal. and make a air tight bond,

Since O-Rings were not available electrical tape was the next best option.  Because it was not the concern of the whole tube, simply the end of the inner tube, I was able to just tape the one end.

 

This seems to have solved my pitch changing issues but only with a 1 inch pipe with a 1/2 inch pipe inside.  The tape makes the difference between the two diameters.  I am going to be able to use the original bent tube (the 1/2 inch pvc) that can be used as the back of the Pbone and will have to rebend a piece of 1 inch PVC for the new slide.

We discovered as we went that we could create the characteristic tone changes of a brass instrument by extending and shortening the pipe by use of our hands (and even feet) with a trumpet mouthpiece.  We also discovered that placing a saxophone neck into the instrument made a great deal of change too.  This will definitely help to create a demonstration of pipe length changes for the students.

Next Steps:  Creating a characteristic Trombone from PVC that looks similar to the Brass Version.  Considering a Copper Pipe Bone too to test differences in tone.

 

Advertisements