Today was the first day of the creation of musical instruments. Our firs attempt was that of a clarinet, which we found was harder than we thought. Using the laser cutter we attempted to make a cylinder similar to the body of a clarinet. We did not make tone holes yet, but were very interested in making a characteristic tone using a clarinet mouthpiece and a sound tube with a bell.
As we went along we made some interesting discoveries. As we lengthened the tube made from rings on the laser cutter the pitch did descend a whole step, but we could not continue to lower the pitch with the addition of more tubes. But as we shortened the instruments to only about a two inch tube with a bell, the instruments tone went lower, instead of higher as usually expected. We are searching for reasons why this may happen.